> What if Clojure had an alternate "surface" syntax that was translated
> into standard Clojure syntax by a kind of preprocessor?
>
> Many people that don't like Lisp dialects don't like them because of
> the parentheses.

Agreed the parentheses take getting used to, and I respect that you
want to expand the Clojure community by helping parentheses-adverse
people out.   It seems to me that introducing a second syntax may help
beginners but will make things worse the longer they use it.  For
example, if a second-syntax user has a problem, where should they go
for help?  Should there be two Clojure forums, one for the Lisp syntax
and one for the second syntax?  Should there be two versions of the
documentation, one written in the second syntax? Which syntax should
libraries be written in?  Of course as long as there aren't any bugs
in the preprocessor, code written in the two syntaxes should be
compatible, but if I use the second syntax because I don't want to
adjust to parentheses, what happens if I need to read library code
that's been written using Lisp syntax?

Bill Smith