Hi,

I find the laziness in clojure very hard to wrap my head around. I
understand the idea and it's probably nice in theory. However, in real
life it doesn't seem really useful beyond hardcore mathematical
problems.

Case in point, I just spent 2 hours debugging a piece of code (shown
below) that seemed simple enough. This is the 3rd time this week that
I've lost substantial time to laziness. I'm pretty pissed to tell the
truth and I find myself wrapping things in doseq more and more just to
be sure. I rarely use 'for' anymore, what's the point?

Here is the code that gave me trouble:

    (map #(add-watch % watcher callback-fn) all-agents)

This was not executing. I had to change it to the below expression:

    (doseq [agent all-labor-agents]
      (add-watch agent total-labor-agent callback-fn))

This second expression seems less elegant than the map above. Why
doesn't clojure realize that an add-watch really should actually loop
over all-agents? Why is it that Java calls are not made in similar
expressions?

Is laziness so useful that we should waste time investigating and
fixing errors like this? Sure, there could be special constructs for
laziness when we really need it. However, clojure shouldn't default to
it IMO. At this point, laziness is a nice concept but it feels
somewhat removed from reality to tell the truth. Of course I want to
iterate over my collection when I'm doing an add-watch!

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Max