I've occasionally wanted this and haven't found it.

(defn named?
  "True if object is compatible with the 'name' function.
  There must be a clojure built-in to do this but I haven't figured it out
yet."
  [x]
  (or (string? x)
      (keyword? x)
      (symbol? x)))

Note that simply doing (instance? clojure.lang.Named x) won't work for
strings, but the (name) function does.

Anyway, I'm thinking there's a built in way to do this without defining the
above function.  Suggestions?

My use case is simply that I want to call the name function for objects
that support it in a translation function.