Thanks for the survey!

I think the size distribution for the academic and government/military
categories might be due to different respondents deciding how to
disambiguate the question in different ways.  For example, everyone who
works for the U.S. government works in an organization of the same size,
but some might view their organization instead as a government department
or an entity within a department, or a research team within a larger
entity, etc.  So you might say that you work in an organization of size
1-10 even if you work for the U.S. government.  If this is correct, the
distribution for these categories isn't meaningful except as information
about what people think of as their "organization" when they are forced to
decide.

By contrast, in business, respondents might make similar decisions, but I
suspect that's it's most common to view the organization as a "company",
whether that's merely the smallest company for which one works, or instead
a parent company that owns a smaller company for which one works, etc.  My
intuition is that most people won't say they work for an organization of
size 1-10 unless the smallest company they work for has no more than 10
employees.