On Mar 5, 2017 1:04 PM, "Timothy Baldridge" <tbaldri...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>  Specter is not a DSL.

Specter implements a set of terms (navigators) specific to the library that
are interpreted by the library (the transform function) to accomplish some
task for a specific domain (manipulating data structures). In the same way,
`update-in` is a DSL. Both Specter and `update-in` support certain
operators and have certain behaviors under difference occasions. Specter
may compile down to composed functions, or Clojure code, while `update-in`
is always interpreted, but the net effect is still the same. They both are
languages specific to a certain domain.

sure, but so is + and every other operator; every op is specific to a
computational domain (e.g. arithmetic). to me DSL means specific to an
application domain. since Specter is not tied to any such domain, i think
it's fair for Nathan to claim it is not a DSL. on the other hand, its
vocabulary is quite idiosyncratic, imo.

gregg

There's noting inherently wrong with using a DSL, they have their places.
The value of the DSL will different for each project and programmer. In
some cases the added cognitive overhead of learning the caveats of a new
DSL may be worth it when compared to the simplification the DSL offers.
Other times not so much, depends on the context.

Timothy

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 7:14 AM, Nathan Marz <nathan.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To answer a few comments/misconceptions on this thread:
>
> - Specter is not a DSL. Things like ALL and MAP-VALS are first class
> objects that implement the underlying navigator interface. Specter's core
> is a high-performance method of composing implementations of that
> interface. It makes zero assumptions about what kinds of data it will be
> used for. I think any DSL for this problem would ultimately either not be
> generic enough or would be overly complex.
> - If you want to use a number as a navigator, then extend the ImplicitNav
> protocol on numbers and return (nthpath this).
> - Zippers are an advanced form of navigation, and Specter integrates them
> fully in the com.rpl.specter.zipper namespace. However, zippers add
> significant overhead and indirection, and 99.9% of the time you don't need
> them (but they do have the occasional use).
> - I wrote at length about why I think Specter fills a major hole in
> Clojure: http://nathanmarz.com/blog/clojures-missing-piece.html
>

> On Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 9:55:49 PM UTC-5, Herwig Hochleitner wrote:

>> > I'm not too sure what the contribs are. Are they simply packages
>> maintained
>> > by the Clojure team itself, or are they actually part of the standard
>> > library?
>>
>> As I understand it, they aren't any more sanctioned than any
>> third-party library, but the goal is to provide a stock of clojure
>> libraries under the same license as clojure itself. Also they provide
>> a common CI and path into maven central.

>> > it's easy to imagine a more xsl-like (or even css-like) syntax with the
>> same
>> > functionality
>>
>> I don't know how it squares up against specter in terms of
>> performance, but I've always been fond of the selector-engine in
>> enlive, from an engineering elegance POV, as an interface for tree
>> query and update.
>> It utilizes zippers, but only ever does a single pass (save for some
>> weird selectors). Can specter substantially improve on zippers for
>> this workload?
>> Is there an underlying abstraction, that could sit next to clojure.zip
>> or clojure.data.zip?

“One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that–lacking
zero–they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C
programs.”
(Robert Firth)

email to clojure+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.