On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 6:16 PM, Luke Burton <luke_bur...@me.com> wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2017, at 2:26 PM, Gregg Reynolds <d...@mobileink.com> wrote:
>
> very interesting stuff, esp. the sociological bits:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017
>
> sadly, clojure does not even rank in popularity.  but it's number 1 in pay
> worldwide.  o sweet vengeance!
>

> Some fun reading in there, Clojure features a couple of times. It would be
> fun to watch for spikes in traffic to Clojure related resources, because
> I'm sure that landing "most highly paid" will cause a few people to sit up
> and take notice.
>
> This did get me thinking though. If the community *did* want to score
> highly on some of these metrics, what would those be? Or do none of them
> adequately capture what is valued by the Clojure community?
>
> I think I'd claim that popularity is a terrible metric, even though it can
> be gratifying to be popular. The fact that lots of people do a particular
> thing doesn't mean that thing is inherently good, or worth striving for.
> Some very popular things are bad lifestyle choices, like smoking, a diet
> high in sugary foods, and writing JavaScript.

Yeah, well, I can't vouch for the methodology.  Smalltalk is number 2 in
Most Loved? Who knew?  (Hint: it's a very self-selecting sample).

Personally I don't think the language popularity stuff is very meaningful.
More interesting to a greybeard like me is e.g. "years since learning to
code", where "20 or more years" is waaaay ahead of anything else, but is
listed at the bottom and not even mentioned in the commentary!  Ditto for
"years coding professionally, where "20 or more years" is in fifth place,
but is listed at the bottom; and "years coded professionally in the past,
where "20 or more years" wins by a mile, but again is not mentioned in the
commentary.  haha.  Remember that age and treachery beats youth and talent
any day of the week! ;)