On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 3:05:26 AM UTC-5, Tamas Herman wrote:

> What problems would it pose if the alpha status would be reflected in the
> version number of org.clojure/spec,
> just like it is the case with org.clojure/clojure rightnow, which is
> 1.9.0-alpha15?

At some future point, there will be a non-alpha version of spec. At that
point it is effectively (and likely actually) a different library. Marking
this one explicitly as alpha allows it to continue to exist and be in use
by alpha users without a breaking change. Non-alpha users can switch to a
new library with new namespaces.

> I've seen the Spec-ulation Keynote from Rich and this step feels like an
> experiment
> to try out the idea of encoding the api version of a library in the name
> of the library.
> Is that correct?

Kind of, but this is a little different in that we're talking about alpha
(breaking change possible) vs non-alpha here.