I'm looking for a function that would likely be named something like
"sequential-by" or "parallel-per" that takes some data-producing thing like
a lazy seq or a core async channel, a function to split records from that
input, and a function to handle each item. Each item with an identical
return value from the "split" function would be handled sequentially, while
the handling of the collection as a whole would be parallel.

If we assume this signature:
(parallel-per splitter handler inputs)

Calling it like this:
(parallel-per :id
              (fn [m] (prn (update m :val inc)))
              [{:id 1 :val 1}, {:id 1 :val 2}, {:id 3 :val 1}])

Would result in the first two maps being handled sequentially, while the
third map is handled in parallel with the first two. The order of the
printed lines would probably be non-deterministic, except {:id 1 :val 2}
would be printed before {:id 1 :val 3}.

Note that for my use case I don't care about return values, but if
something like this already exists it's plausible that it returns something
equivalent to (map handler inputs).

Does anything like this already exist in core or some lib? If not, any
recommendations for how to build it?