Hi all,

My codebase (mix of CLJ, CLJS and CLJS) is about fifty thousand lines of
code, and compilation times are starting to interfere with my workflow
happiness. In addition, Chrome Devtools is becoming somewhat sluggish due
to the high number of separate namespaces loaded through Figwheel.

My current machine is a 6-core Mac Pro 3.5 Ghz Xeon ("late 2013"). For
quite a while I have been investigating whether a switch to another machine
and/or platform would be interesting from a workflow speed point of view.
However, aside from Timothy Pratley's article on the AMD Ryzen 1800x
(http://timothypratley.blogspot.in/2017/03/ryzen-is-for-programmers.html),
I have trouble finding information that is relevant for us Clojure
programmers.

I would summarize my research as follows:
* single-core performance is most important, so that it is probably the
case that a 4-core CPU with a higher single-thread speed is preferable to
an 6/8/10-core CPU with a slower single-thread speed;
* as from 4 cores, there are hardly any speedups to be expected for having
more cores in CLJ or even (parallel) CLJS builds;
* the Ryzens are great value, but their single-core performance is usually
10-20% below the top of the line Intels;
* according to the many Phoronix benchmarks, Linux and OSX have about the
same performance, although there are some interesting deviations for some
workflows (even up to 30 - 40%);
* the single-core performance difference between my current CPU and the
single-core top of the line (i7700K, i7-7800X or i7-7820X) seems to be
between 20-40%

While a 50% performance increase would be enough to warrant the time
investment & cost of switching, my fear is that the real-world speed-up
will probably be more like a meager 20%.

Ignoring cost considerations and performance outside CLJ development: what
CPU and platform would you recommend?

Many thanks!

Maarten