| I would have had to re-spec all the intermediate functions

I'm not able to follow how that is?

You would have only needed this if you are somewhere validating or have setup
test.check to run. In both cases, if you wanted to validate, why don't you also
want to validate this new field? Or why not test.check your code with it?

Also, if you had a keys spec for this map, it would only require you adding one
key to that one spec. Why would all your intermediate functions not share the
same map spec?

Anyhow, I'm not arguing against open key specs, I'm arguing for adding to spec
a closed keys spec. Either as an option to s/keys or another spec macro. There
clearly a large number of people who seem to have use cases for both, and
implementing your own is non trivial, I think it would be a great addition to
spec for practical completeness.