I promised a few people I would create a Boot task that leveraged
tools.deps.alpha so your dependencies could be external, in deps.edn.

I just released an early version of that
https://github.com/seancorfield/boot-tools-deps

Feedback welcome!

It’s tries to be as close to the clj script behavior as possible, with the
caveat that Boot has already selected a version of Clojure and read your
build.boot file (if present) by the time the deps task gets control! It
cascades some basic defaults (copied from clj’s system deps.edn), your home
deps.edn (if present in ~/.clojure) and the current directory’s deps.edn. You
can specify additional deps.edn files to load. It relies on tools.deps.alpha to
read all those files and merge their content, along with handling resolve
aliases and some aspects of classpath aliases, and then it merges the resulting
information into Boot’s environment (so it ultimately relies on Boot’s artifact
handling and class loading). It currently leverages a couple of private
functions to mimic the -R and -C alias handling (Alex, I’ll talk to you via DM
some time about this).

Sean Corfield -- (970) FOR-SEAN -- (904) 302-SEAN

-- Margaret Atwood