Our team has been running in production on Clojure 1.9 release candidates
for the last 4 months.  We process about 30 million transactions every day
without breaking a sweat, thanks in part to core.async, so performance is
excellent for us.  As we started with 1.9 I'm unable to give advice about
comparable performance or upgrade issues, however, I don't recall any
issues with libraries and Clojure 1.9

We will be upgrading to the final 1.9 release in the new year, which simply
means running our performance tests in a non-production environment for a
week or so.
​
Thanks
John