To elaborate on Nicola's correct answer, when -main is run from outside its
namespace, the binding of mx comes from the current environment (which
doesn't see a macro, and likely has no binding for mx). If you use ` in
-main, the currently visible binding is properly namespace qualified so
that it expands when called from outside the namespace.