Apologies, I forgot to cc the list.

On Thu, May 03 2018, Gary Fredericks wrote:
You would also have race conditions on the meaning of *1, *2, *3, and *e.

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 5:43 AM, Carlo Zancanaro <carlozancan...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>But what happens when a user set!s a var? is it effective for >all future evals but not the concurrent ones?

I believe so, but I can't check right now. If I'm wrong I'll correct myself when I can check.

It turns out I was half-wrong. When you start an evaluation then the bindings will be set to the state that they were in at the end of the most recent evaluation. This can get a bit confusing when there are lots of overlapping evaluations, but when you're using the system interactively (eg. with CIDER) then you have a lot of control over the evaluation sequence.

The meanings of *1, *2, *3, and *e follow the same rules as the above. I still find it a bit weird that evaluating a form with C-M-x (or other in-buffer evaluation commands) changes those variables, though. I would prefer it if those variables only got set by an evaluation from the REPL buffer (which CIDER ensures are sequential). That way I could eval stuff with C-M-x without affecting the state of my REPL history variables. But that's a separate issue in my mind.

Carlo

--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Clojure" group.