<rant-on-error-messages>

So I get a strange error from the compiler after a few minor edits:

Syntax error compiling at (tupelo/forest.clj:7:1).
Unable to resolve symbol: d in this context
Full report at: /tmp/clojure-18236661144073611223.edn

with the following EDN message:

{:clojure.main/message
 "Syntax error compiling at (tupelo/forest.clj:7:1).\nUnable to resolve
symbol: d in this context\n",
 :clojure.main/triage
 {:clojure.error/phase :compile-syntax-check,
  :clojure.error/line 7,
  :clojure.error/column 1,
  :clojure.error/source "forest.clj",
  :clojure.error/path "tupelo/forest.clj",
  :clojure.error/class java.lang.RuntimeException,
  :clojure.error/cause "Unable to resolve symbol: d in this context"},
 :clojure.main/trace
 {:via
  [{:type clojure.lang.Compiler$CompilerException,
    :message "Syntax error compiling at (tupelo/forest.clj:7:1).",
    :data
    {:clojure.error/phase :compile-syntax-check,
     :clojure.error/line 7,
     :clojure.error/column 1,
     :clojure.error/source "tupelo/forest.clj"},
    :at [clojure.lang.Compiler analyze "Compiler.java" 6808]}
   {:type java.lang.RuntimeException,
    :message "Unable to resolve symbol: d in this context",
    :at [clojure.lang.Util runtimeException "Util.java" 221]}],

and I figure I accidentally got a typo somewhere.  Look at the top of the
file:

[image: Screenshot from 2019-05-07 21-08-39.png]
Hmmm, no stray characters there...
 <Searches several files for many minutes, uses git, re-compile,
head-scratching, finally looks at random near edit site...Ah ha!>
Oh, look at this on line 159:
[image: Screenshot from 2019-05-07 21-12-11.png]

So, I got a random character inserted, and the compiler directs me to a
line 152 lines away from the actual error location.  Any we wonder why
Clojure has slow adoption....

</rant-on-error-messages>

I could probably figure out a fix for problems like this, but I'm worried
that it wouldn't be accepted.

Alan

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/clojure/CAN67zA1vrk_%2BTx0LcmznPNnZzW7GZFsOGaSn1AdWWJ1Fyc%2BZGg%40mail.gmail.com.