Clojure does not guarantee binary compatibility between versions, but almost
always happens to be compatible. Yet, it's best not to distribute your Clojure
libs as compiled classes, much better to do so as source.

For a gen-class though, it works like Java. Java guarantees backward
compatibility of classes, as far as I know. So you should be good as long as
you make sure that none of the Clojure code gets AOTed and included in the jar
by accident as you compiled the gen-class.

Like keep your gen-class in their own namespace with only the -xyx fns in it.
And have those instantly delegate to a call to another namespace.

Or what I do is I AOT, but then when I package the Jar, I only include the
gen-class .class file in it. I hand pick it for inclusion in the Jar, and don't
include any of the other .class files.