Just to beat the horse...

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 1:05 PM 'bed...@yahoo.com' via Clojure <
clojure@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Changing the order of classpath entry and not having paths be at the
> beginning of the CLASSPATH will break existing code that uses `(io/resource
> ...)` to load resources from the CLASSPATH.
> While in theory the order of the classpath should not matter, in practice
> it does, often involuntarily.

Just to reiterate so it's clear, this is bad, at least for deps and usually
for most other uses. That's why we provide features in deps.edn to
encourage you to be specific when you are overriding something that exists
in the classpath rather than relying on an ordering mechanism. If there is
a use case where shadowing is a feature and not a bug that is not already
covered, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

> Fighweel-main's default behavior is to load `public/index.html` which
> works fine if the local paths come first, but will fail if any other JAR
> has a `public/index.html` resource.
>
> And as we learned, they do!

This is bad, and we should loudly complain about it to whoever is doing it,
not just accept it. (It's probably accidental, not intentional.)

> Please consider going back to the old, defined behavior.

I am considering options.

> All other build tools I know have - for good or bad - a defined CLASSPATH
> order.

Do they? I'm not aware of documentation about or guarantees for this with
either lein or Maven but would love to be pointed at those docs if you're
aware of something. Both Maven and lein have considered how to make builds
repeatable/reproducible, but I'm actually not aware that the order is well
defined and documented (and I have looked).