This has come up before. You can actually work around this (search the
mailing list for declare)
I think that when not hacking against the REPL that the default behavior is
a good one. Having to use declare bugged me a little at first, but I now
consider it a very minor annoyance compared to the advantages I get from
programming interactively with Clojure.
Should the REPL have an "interactive" mode where it won't fire an exception
on undefined symbols and instead issue compiler warnings? If compiler
warnings were issued this would be a nice hook for Emacs and other IDEs.
David