2009/3/16 Phil Hagelberg <p...@hagelb.org>

> André Thieme <splendidl...@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> > But it also protects you from typos. And this can be even more
> > important. Imagine you have a complex program and accidently
> > made a typo, and this will go unnoticed for days and days, until
> > the program actually runs your code...
>
> If you go days and days without actually running your code, then you
> deserve what you get. A test suite would catch this for you every time;
> developing without one is irresponsible.

OK, so now is time for another ugly english translation of a french proverb
"before saying something, roll your tongue 8 times in your mouth before
speaking". I guess this could also be applied for e-mail :-)

Seriously, treating a very large audience of people as "irresponsible"
(including Rich himself, the author of clojure) does not seem a very
"responsible" behavior, does it ? :-)

In fact, I'm ok when you say that ".... deserve what you get". But please,
think about it twice before saying people are irresponsible. Unit tests are
not the only answer to bug-free and quality programs.
Quality and correctness is a discipline in its own right, including tests
(unit tests, integration tests, functional tests, performance tests, ...),
reviews (code review, peer review, architecture review, ...).
Not to say that a lot of bugs are not in the code, but in the specifications
(be they formal as in watefall processes, or informal as in agile
processes), ..., ....

And please note that when talking about tests, I did not tell if they had to
be automatic or not. I think that it's not a natural conclusion to say that
tests must be automated.
To me, it's rather a cost/benefits balance that must leads to the conclusion
that automatic unit tests are good or not for your project.

My answer had not the intent to offense you, but I couldn't let you write
that without reaction, because I'm myself very interested in automatic unit
tests, and I think that such intransigent thoughts deserve the cause.

Regards,

--
Laurent