I was curious about how some of the clojure code worked and observed
that the coding style is a little bit non idiomatic from typical Java
coding conventions.  E.g. there aren't any javadoc comments on methods
or classes, non standard indents.

Something like checkstyle might prove useful.

http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/

While, every programmer balks at conventions, I am sure there is a
mountain of evidence for increased overall maintenance and other
benefits.

I know, I will get suggestions for clojure/lisp coding style.