Hi, I've been really enjoying getting to know clojure.  It's an awesome
language that has got me very interested in learning more. One thing that
hasn't left me impressed is the error reporting.

I recently got this one that left me scratching my head:

java.lang.NullPointerException (splat.clj:0)
        at clojure.lang.Compiler.eval(Compiler.java:4533)
        at clojure.lang.Compiler.load(Compiler.java:4846)
        at clojure.lang.Compiler.loadFile(Compiler.java:4813)
        at clojure.main$load_script__5793.invoke(main.clj:206)
        at clojure.main$script_opt__5824.invoke(main.clj:258)
        at clojure.main$main__5848$fn__5850.invoke(main.clj:333)
        at clojure.main$main__5848.doInvoke(main.clj:328)
        at clojure.lang.RestFn.invoke(RestFn.java:413)
        at clojure.lang.Var.invoke(Var.java:346)
        at clojure.lang.AFn.applyToHelper(AFn.java:173)
        at clojure.lang.Var.applyTo(Var.java:463)
        at clojure.main.main(main.java:39)
        at user$render_layer__37.invoke(splat.clj:311)
        at user$render_layers__40.invoke(splat.clj:315)
        at user$active_update__43.invoke(splat.clj:323)
        at user$run__55.invoke(splat.clj:349)
        at user$eval__58.invoke(splat.clj:378)
        at clojure.lang.Compiler.eval(Compiler.java:4522)
        ... 11 more

There are a few things wrong here and with clojure error reporting in
general:

1. I'm not getting a line number for some reason.
2. I don't get any indication what the nature of the error is.
3. I get a big (nested) stack trace that has more to do with clojure
compiler internals than my program.

Even when clojure does tell you what went wrong I don't really need to see
the compiler internals.  Just the parts relevant to my program.  Perhaps
some context (such as printing the source line causing the problem) and a
clear message stating the nature of the problem.

Regards,

Glen