Hi - I'm struggling with what is probably a very basic STM problem... so
forgive me if I've missed something obvious.

I have a world that is a list of structures

The world itself will change occasionally - i.e. I'll add or remove
structures from the overall list, and I'll regularly be reading the whole
list.

However quite often I'll just want to change individual structures without
affecting the rest of the world.

So, putting this in terms of refs - do I use:
(A) one ref for the whole world - in which case how do I stop parallel
changes to two unrelated structures in the world from causing transaction
retries?
(B) one ref for each structure in the world - so the "world" list is a list
of refs - but then how do I change the world itself?
(C) both of the above - a ref for the "world" list which itself contains a
list of refs to each structure

I suspect the answer is 'c' - will this work?  Or have I over complicated
something somewhere?

- Korny
--
Kornelis Sietsma  korny at my surname dot com
"Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part