Yep, looks like we where the first of hopefully many production
implementations...

It's quite funny, we are expanding the bus logic presently and without
Clojure, I wonder how much effort
and Java code it would have required us.

We store rules in a database (hey Stuart, we really need one !:))), it
remains simple to enter them from our Rails GUI.
We convert them to full sexpr before applying them to the messages on
the bus.
Some are routing rules, others apply transformations to messages to
adapt to endpoints limitations (field  length limitations, field
substitutions,...)

All of this is quite dynamic and Java was not a workable option. We were
juggling with JRuby when we discovered
Clojure. JRuby was not quite complete at the time we looked at it and
Clojure looked usable and expandable right now.

In retrospective, I find it a lot easier with Clojure than Ruby,
immutability is a key point here.
We do not want any side effects on the original message. More fun, less
debugging hours...

Welcome to the club Stuart :)))

I looked at your app and it's impressive. Ours is more nuts and bolts
and not generally exposed to the public aside from the vets of course.
Yours has a larger audience and that's good for all of us.

Luc

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 06:06 +1200, Abhishek Reddy wrote:

> On 4/8/09, Baishampayan Ghose <b.gh...@ocricket.com> wrote:
> >
> > Excuse my ignorance, but which one is the first famous Clojure app?
> >

> That could be a reference to Luc Prefontaine's veterinarian hospital
> application.  It got some press at InfoQ:
> http://www.infoq.com/news/2009/01/clojure_production

Luc Préfontaine

Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a real problem...