Konrad,

I too would rather have everything in a single :doc tag and it most
cases it will be (just as it is with the clojure.org API page). But I
wanted to leave open the option for people to create custom marked-up
version for the wiki if they wanted something fancier. Any solution
that involves including the markup in the :doc string seemed to me to
be not immediately practical either cause it mucks up the output of
(doc ...) or requires changes to core to do something with markup. I
didn't want to break what was there or have to wait for a new feature.
But we can change pretty easily later, I think, once it seems like we
know the right answer.

Tom