> But here would be an interesting situation:  what if all the Heap inserts
> do end up being faster, but popping every element off is slower because
> deleteMin()'s constant is so high?  Well, then there's a cross-over point
> that would be nice to know about.  It might be better to use the heap, when
> you only want, say, the top K things, but if you want the top K+1 things,
> than it's cheaper to just sort them all.

for completeness, I forgot about QuickSelect if *all* you want is the top K,
and especially in an imperative setting:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/4954930/Advanced-Topics-in-Sorting

so I guess another part of the use case might be that different consumers
want to get a potentially different top-K.  So once a single heapification
occurs, each consumer can have their own view and pop in O(k log(n)) time,
for whatever k they want, reusing most of a shared data structure.