On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 9:08 PM, George Jahad
<andr...@blackbirdsystems.net> wrote:
]> It seems like what you are really trying to do is simulate
> inheritance/overriding in clojure.  What's wrong with using
> gen-class and proxy for that?

I guess it's still an open question as to whether gen-class and proxy
are mainly for Java interop, or whether it will be necessary to use
them for day-to-day "Clojure-proper" programming to create
encapsulated ADTs, extensible modules, or other areas where Clojure
currently seems weak.  I certainly hope that Clojure will continue to
grow in ways that make gen-class and proxy unnecessary except for Java
interop, because I find gen-class to be a bear to use (I spent hours
trying to set up the classpath so that I could write and read the
compiled files, and when you don't actually need the code
pre-compiled, it can actually be less convenient), and I find
accessing objects via dot syntax through Clojure to be comparatively
ugly.  I don't know, maybe Rich intends that certain things will
always be handled on the Java side, but I certainly hope that isn't
the case.