On 21.05.2009, at 15:38, aperotte wrote:

> Though I can't say I've thoroughly tested this, the intended
> functionality is that you provide a nested structure and you specify
> the shape of the units with the first argument.

Ah, I see. I didn't try that at all.

>> 2) Shapes and indices are all int, rather than long. This excludes
>> really big arrays. Is there a reason for this choice other than
>> saving space?
>
> I used ints because I don't think java arrays can be indexed with
> longs.  I could theoretically back the data structures with more than
> one array, but the maximum index is defined by the int, I think.

After a quick look at the Java docs, it seems you are right. This
means Java arrays are quite limited in size by today's standards.

>> PS: I am using PersistentMatrix rather successfully in reading data
>> from HDF5 files!
>
> Exciting!  I was also taking a look at the NetCDF format.  It looks
> interesting as well.

I have been using netCDF a lot in the past, but currently I am
switching to HDF5 because it is more flexible and the C library has
parallel I/O features. netCDF 4 will be a layer on top of HDF5 as
well, so that format seems to have the best future. On the other
hand, if you want to deal with existing netCDF files, you have to use
the netCDF library. I haven't looked at their Java version yet.

Konrad.