Hello,

In order to understand the agent model of Clojure
better I wrote the alioth shootout threadring benchmark [1].
I ran some tests to compare it with the Java and Scala
implementation [2, 3] which I picked from the published
benchmarks.

The clojure code can be found here:
http://gist.github.com/124688

The benchmark from my two core 1.7GHz pentium system
(ubuntu 9.04) w/ 1GB RAM can be found here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=rQLD6jgTTV5OqXwHdXtrTyg

In summary, scala implementation is 6.34x times slower than
java, clojure is 7.8x. Avg CPU consumption is 93.3% for java and
179.2% and 131.34% for scala and clojure respectively.

I thought of sharing this in case others are interested.
As this is my first program using clojure agents I would appreciate
any
comments on improving the Clojure implementation (or in case
there are any bugs).

Thanks.
Parth
PS: For the Java implementation I happen to pick the "interesting
alternate programs" (Java 6 -server #5) but it was already quite
late in the cycle when I realized that. So the Java numbers are
probably better than the other java implementations.

[1]
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32q/benchmark.php?test=threadring&lang=all
[2]
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32q/benchmark.php?test=threadring&lang=java&id=5