It may help to review the code and structure of open source Clojure
projects, part of the mind-bend feeling could be coming from
struggling to know where to begin when writing code and less from
unfamiliarity with the theory of FP.

I'd also recommend playing with Haskell and reviewing "Real World
Haskell" (http://book.realworldhaskell.org/).  Even though Clojure has
a focus on FP, other Lisps don't exhibit this; there are bits of FP
that can be found in any programming language but with Haskell you'll
be immersed in it.