On Jun 11, 2009, at 9:25 AM, BerlinBrown wrote:

> I do this a lot but can't figure out to change the UPDATEABLE_VALUE, I
> am using some pseudo code because I don't have a clojure solution yet.
>
> SET UPDATEABLE_VALUE = 0
> (loop [line (.readLine reader)]
>      (if (or (empty? line) (> line-num max-num))
>       SET UPDATEABLE_VALUE = UPDATEABLE_VALUE + (SOME_FUNC)
>        (recur (.readLine reader))))

In general it's going to be something like this:

(loop [line (.readLine reader) UPDATEABLE_VALUE 0]
      (if (or (empty? line) (> line-num max-num))
        (recur (.readLine reader) (+ UPDATEABLE_VALUE (SOME_FUNC)))))

Whenever you would have modified a local variable before, in FP you
establish a new binding instead.

—
Daniel Lyons
http://www.storytotell.org -- Tell It!