On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:03 AM, Mark Volkmann <r.mark.volkm...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> We must be talking about a different way of using git. In my case I created
> a local repo from the remote github repo using the following command:
>
> git clone git://github.com/richhickey/clojure.git
>
> After doing this, I still contend that the correct way to update my local
> repo is to cd to the directory of my local repo and run "git pull". Do you
> think that's wrong? It seems to me in this scenario the command we shouldn't
> use it "git push" because that would attempt push my changes back to the
> github repo.

Mark,
You are correct. The way that you should update *your* repository is to
issue the "git pull" command within the working directory. Look at it from
Rich's perspective. There are two ways that he can get changes from your
repo into his repo. One is for you to cd into your directory and issue a
"git push" command, but that assumes that you have access to write to his
repo.

The other way is for him to cd into his directory and issue the "git pull"
command. This only assumes that he has read access to your repo. There is a
feature of GitHub (the website, not git itself) that is called a "pull
request". You do not have write access to Rich's repo, but you want him to
incorporate your changes, so you send him a "pull request". It is basically
just an e-mail saying, "Hey, Rich, I have a cool new change that I'd like to
see incorporated, cd into your working directory and issue a 'git pull'."

Rich has said to hold off on sending "pull requests" through the GitHub
website. He is not saying that you cannot update your repo.

Paul