I'll second this.  One large source of confusion when first switching to
git is the seeming obtuseness of the terminology and concepts.  The
model itself is actually quite simple and everything becomes easier once
you get the basic concepts inside git (I think of it as repo = directed
graph of nodes and pointers into the graph & git = graph editor).

John Wiegley's doc does a great job of explaining that model, as he
says, from the bottom up.

-Sudish