I'm looking through the primitives that Clojure has for STM with refs, and
it seems nice and minimal, except for these two functions, which I can't
tease apart.  From the documentation,

 *(ref-set ref val)*

Must be called in a transaction. Sets the value of ref. Returns val.

 *(alter ref fun & args)*

Must be called in a transaction. Sets the in-transaction-value of ref to:

> (apply fun in-transaction-value-of-ref args)

> and returns the in-transaction-value of ref.

Does ref-set not set the "in-transaction-value"?  It looks like the only
difference is the signature, and that can't be right.
--
Adam Blinkinsop <bli...@acm.org>