Come to think of it, this would also work for me: keeping the vector
of pairs, and instead using filter to get the "values" of a key:

(defn get-from-pairs [pairs key-to-fetch]
  (map #(get % 1) (filter #(= key-to-fetch (get % 0)) pairs)))

(I wish the key and val functions were defined on vectors too. :( )

Is there still a better Clojure way?