On Jun 29, 3:09 pm, Nicolas Oury <nicolas.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am coding a (very) small hash consing library for clojure.
>
> For those we don't happen to know what hash consing is, it is a way of
> allowing equal data structures to be shared in memory.
> This leverages the purity (as in "immutability") of data structures to
> reduce memory footprint (no duplication of data for just a constant
> overhead per allocation) and makes hashing and equality tests faster.
> (You can use java non overloaded hashCode, and == to test equality,
> because of the sharing. So both operations are O(1), with a very small
> constant, whatever is the complexity of the hash consed data
> structures.)

I don't know anything about hash consing. Based on my
limited understanding of the description I am just wondering
if this is different from structural sharing that Clojure collections
have.

Quoting the docs[1]:
"
In particular, the Clojure collections support efficient creation of
'modified'
versions, by utilizing structural sharing, and make all of their
performance
bound guarantees for persistent use.
"

Do you have something different in mind with hash consing?

Regards,
Parth

[1] http://clojure.org/data_structures#toc12