I looked at the ICFP Contest too.  I didn't even get as far as solving
the first problem, but I did implement a virtual machine that appeared
to work.  I really enjoyed the coding, though I didn't get very far
with the physics!  I tried a couple of approaches but settling on the
functional side.  Performance was not bad (from what I've seen it was
vaguely comparable to the Python implementations, but was completely
blown away by C/C++ implementations).  I really wish I'd had the time
to do a visualizer!

My code is on github too (http://github.com/fffej/ClojureProjects/tree/
1494815e83febebe9af28b0cb08b812a63df9e96/icfp/uk/co/fatvat) and
there's a write-up on my blog (http://www.fatvat.co.uk/2009/06/icfp-
contest-this-time-its-functional.html).

Again, I'd appreciate any guidance on anything that I could improve!

Cheers

jeff