> How do folks interactively code with a REPL and then once things
> "settle down" dump it back out so you can make a proper module out of
> it?

Typically, folks don't.

Use Vim, Emacs, Eclipse... any tool that provides an interactive
Clojure toplevel and the ability to evaluate forms within files. You
edit a file as you go, evaluating forms as they change; if you really
need to, the REPL history itself is in a buffer. If you're ever in
doubt as to which version is current, just \ef (in Vim) and your
current file is evaluated.

> I'm using that JLine thing for command history, but I would imagine
> it's completely oblivious to Clojure forms so they get split
> (potentially, depending on how I typed it) on multiple lines.

Indeed.

> Is SLIME (slime?) a better approach to interactive development?
> (I.e., is it like a REPL in a buffer, and does it have hooks so you
> know which definition of what is actually in place currently?)

I don't think it has the latter, but it allows you to macroexpand,
evaluate the current buffer, evaluate a form, etc. etc.