Hi,

I am trying to compare the performance of java loops to clojure reduce
function. Noting special, Since I am just learning.
Java code is something like:

[code]
long sum = 0;
for (int i = 1; i < 1000000; i++ ){
    sum = sum + i;
}
[/code]

while in Clojure I used:

[code]
(reduce + (range 1 i))
[/code]

Execution time for the Java version is 7 ms, while Clojure needs 60 -
160 ms.
Now, that is expected, since Clojure runs in REPL.
Next, I tried the gen-class of the Clojure, and called that Class from
Java (so no REPL involved), but the code haven't speed up at all!
Am I missing something or such 10x performance penalty is usual for
such operations?