Hello,

I am very excited about opportunities of what I can do in Clojure. I am
a long time Squeaker (Smalltalk), and also Python user, dabbling at
times in various other languages. I have briefly explored Scala as an
option for my business app. But, I really am a dynamic typing guy. :)

I have in general not learned Lisp previously because I was spoiled by
the environment in Squeak which is not found, in general, outside of
Smalltalk. However, I am writing a business application which requires
using Java libraries. Hence my search for a JVM language which makes
using Java less painful and more productive. I have great hope for
Clojure being that language. It being a Lisp is a big win to me. The
power of Lisp is known, even among those who don't use it. I absolutely
love the fact that Rich explicitly wants a practical Lisp that is
available for writing business apps on the platform chosen for many
business apps. That hits me where I live.

I am working my way through the Programming Clojure book. I really want
to get Clojure in my head and get productive with it.

On page 67  is-small?  is defined as:
    (defn is-small? [number]
    (if (< number 100) "yes" "no" ))

Is  is-small?  a predicate?  If so, is this a common pattern for such
predicates?

The reason I ask, is because on page 52 a predicate is defined as:

    A predicate is a function that returns either true or false. In
Clojure, it is
    idiomatic to name predicates with a trailing question mark, for example
    true?, false?, nil?, and zero?:

If this is strictly true, then  is-small?  is not a predicate as it
returns values other than  true or false. And as such could not be used
in a situation which required such.

Just attempting to clarify my understanding, so that I proceed
correctly, with proper understanding.

Thanks for any wisdom, understanding and guidance in my journey to Clojure.

Jimmie