> A remote process (process not running on the same machine as JMX
> client) can usually be accessed through an RMI connection.

I might be totally wrong here, but jconsole lets you connect to any
java process on Java 1.6, without needing jmxremote properties.

I got the impression, that this is implemented by using the "Java
Attach API" to inject the 'management-agent.jar' code into the process
to start up a jmx listener if one isn't already there? I might be
wrong.

<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/management/agent.html>

--
Dave