I'm pretty familiar with scheme programming, so functional programming isn't
new to me, but I rarely turn to it for solving problems during my day to day
work.  In learning Clojure, I've been going through problems on project
euler, and one question I have is that while it's straigh-forward to
implement things in a functional language, it's hard to wring performance
out of them sometimes.  In this case I'm writing a factorial function and
because I don't want to introduce side-effects by pre-computing and storing
values, how would I go about improving the performance of the naive
implementation for large numbers.

I'm just looking for general optimizations that I should be aware of, the
nature of the function itself isn't really important.  I could turn to
number theory to get some performance improvement, but from a Clojure
oriented perspective, what things might I try?

- Jeremy