> Unless you want the default value for a non initialized boolean value to be
> true ...
>
> (let [x (or false true)] => whooops

In defense: ad hoc solutions don't need 100% coverage,
mea culpa: I shouldn't have switched to it in discussing the macro.
mea maxima culpa:  I hesitated mentioning it at all because the ad hoc
solution doesn't address the only stated goal, namely, reducing key
strokes.  Whether it is worth introducing a new control structure to
reduce keystrokes by 5*n-2, where n is the number of bindings and is
typically small -- and this formula does not work for the boolean-
default-true case, once again--is a matter of taste.

However, as a learning/teaching instrument, it is quite good, as
subsequent discussion illustrates.

David