On Aug 6, 6:49 pm, John Harrop <jharrop...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Andy Fingerhut <
>
> andy_finger...@alum.wustl.edu> wrote:
> > You are correct.  I've updated that file:
>
> >http://github.com/jafingerhut/clojure-benchmarks/blob/bb9755bdeeccae8...
>
> Could you post the Mandelbrot code you use? Because I know for a fact that
> Clojure can do FP calcs as fast as native C code, given the -server vm and a
> loop/recur with unboxed doubles, and my understanding of Mandelbrot is that
> it's just FP calcs.

Here is the root of the clojure-benchmarks github directory tree.
They are all in there:

http://github.com/jafingerhut/clojure-benchmarks/tree/master

You can get specific files by browsing the directory tree on the web
site, or if you use git, you can git clone the whole thing and have a
local copy on your computer:

git clone git://github.com/jafingerhut/clojure-benchmarks.git

It is mandelbrot/mandelbrot.clj-1.clj.  There is a
mandelbrot.clj-2.clj that is the same, except it uses my modified-pmap
to compute separate rows in parallel.  I'm still investigating reasons
why parallelism isn't getting me much bang for the buck in the
"questions about pmap" thread before worrying performance turning more
complex programs using floats/doubles in parallel.

I did go back to the archives for a discussion in early April, 2009
when others on this list were discussing how to tweak the core of the
mandelbrot code (the function "dot" in my version), and I used the
fastest of those versions I could find, but I may have missed some
opportunities for speeding it up, and I definitely welcome any and all
improved versions.  I'd recommend comparing the speed on your machine
vs. the Java version that is in the same directory as the Clojure
source.

Andy