On Aug 28, 12:16 am, ngocdaothanh <ngocdaoth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there an i18n library for Clojure? What Java i18n library should I
> use in a Clojure program (it suits Clojure syntax for example)? For
> Ruby and Erlang I prefer Gettext, but for Java it seems
> that .properties files are in major use.
>
> Thanks,
> Ngoc.

I have an interest in this as well.  Compared to using gettext, the
java style of resource files seems unnecessarily awkward.

There's a java api for gettext, described at
http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/manual/gettext/Java.html
I haven't used it yet, so I can't vouch for it.

You'd think that clojure syntax is, on its surface, close enough to
scheme that xgettext --language=Scheme  blah.clj would work for files
with forms like (_ "some string to be translated") .. . but it
doesn't.  Looks like writing a custom xgettext is going to be
necessary.

I had already hacked up some proof-of-concept clojure code using a
zipper to extract / translate strings from html files without any
additional markup.  Part of me thinks it'd be really nice to be able
to similarly identify a clojure source file as needing to be
translated, then extract any non-docstring text strings (or heck,
maybe even docstrings) automatically, without having to add the (_
"blah") markup.