The details help a lot. I was able to ensure I am doing the same steps
with a file not found exception instead of a working file.

I notice that the you used 'clojure.jar' whereas I am using
'clojure-1.0.0.jar'. Did you happen to compile your clojure.jar from
source? I used the current release download. I am starting to wonder
if I need to build from source to get this classpath problem to go
away.