Hi Brenton,

Nested maps are a good way to start, but they're pretty low level as
you want to do more complicated things. If you're talking about data
associations, the relational model is higher level and it's really
worth modeling your data in that way.

Relational data manipulation doesn't require a sql database. If you
want to use an in memory data representation, clojure has a couple of
options. The clojure.set namespace [1] has some useful functions
operating on sets of maps, in a relational way. join, select, and
project will get you pretty far.

A more structured and powerful way of doing things is
clojure.contrib.datalog [2]. I haven't had a chance to play with this
(yet!), but it looks very cool. It's a functional approach and it's
more well integrated with the language than something generating sql.

If your app really does call for connection to an external db, then
there's no reason not to go with clj-record. You wouldn't be the first
person to make a SQL db backed web app. :) Using a database through
clojure feels a lot more natural than via an ORM.

I'm doing a small web app with compojure to familiarize myself with
clojure right now, so report back to the mailing list if something
works well for ya! I'm not at the point where I need a db, but if I do
I think I'll end up trying to use datalog.

Andy Kish.

[1] http://clojure.org/api#toc654
[2] http://richhickey.github.com/clojure-contrib/doc/datalog.html