> Although I still don't understand why the current working directory
> can cause such problems (shouldn't Java be able to make proper use of
> the classpath?), my problem has been solved.

Because the compilation of Clojure files produces files in *compile-
path* ("classes" by default), which is relative to the current working
directory on launch, and must be in your classpath.

If you were launching the JVM from your Clojure directory, you weren't
starting where you could see your "classes" directory. It would be
trying to use /path/to/my/clojure.dir/classes, which doesn't exist, or
isn't on your classpath. Error.

Either launch from /home/tpj/test/ (which seems to be what you're
doing now), or bind *compile-path* to "/home/tpj/test/classes".