On 14 Nov 2009, at 02:50, Mark Engelberg wrote:

> together.  So would it make sense for multimethods to be included as
> part of protocols, or should there be some similar grouping system for
> multimethods?

The "old ideas/scratchpad" section of

        http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/clojure/Protocols

mentions multiprotocols, which are about what you describe.

> basically gives you partial implementation.  But it seems to me that a
> lot of times, several interface functions will share some sort of
> local state, using closures.

The shared state would normally be stored in the object that the
dispatching acts on.

> If I'm visualizing this correctly, these sorts of partial
> implementations couldn't possibly be mixed-in,
> because there would be no way to share that state.

They could still all reference a common var, just like any set of
functions can. But...

> Off the top of my head, I don't yet have a concrete example of this
> -- has anyone
> encountered this yet in their experiments with protocols?

... me neither, so it seems premature to discuss the details.

Konrad.