On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Stefan Kamphausen
<ska2...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Nov 17, 8:12 pm, John Harrop <jharrop...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Sean Devlin <francoisdev...@gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >
> > > I *THINK* what is meant by the "non-numeric" is anything that matches
> >
> > > #"[a-zA-z]"
> >
> > Nah, it'll be anything that's allowed elsewhere AND is not a digit.
>
> Does that mean, the % as the first char should not be allowed, whereas
> at it is in the Version I use (did that change in branch new, BTW?).

The docs say that letters and *, +, !, -, _, and ? should work anywhere, and
letters, numbers, and  *, +, !, -, _, and ? elsewhere than the first
character, while making no guarantees about most other characters and
specifically indicating that / and . will NOT work. (And delimiters -- (, ),
{, }, [, and ] -- won't work, nor will whitespace (including commas), since
they act as token separators.)

In practice, most other characters seem to work, but characters used in
reader macros (#, %, ;, ', `, ~, @, etc.) may not. It is rather odd that %
acts up outside of the #() reader macro though.

And, wouldn't it be nice to get a clearer error-message? :-)

Wouldn't it always?