> clojure-1.1.0-alpha-SNAPSHOT.jar for this. is there something about
> having to have the jit warm up or something over a zillion runs?

I see an immediate speed improvement from transients with a recent
Clojure, and after a few runs the difference is obvious.

user=> (time (def v (vrange 1000000)))
"Elapsed time: 342.455 msecs"

user=> (time (def v2 (vrange2 1000000)))
"Elapsed time: 39.054 msecs"

Often vrange takes 800+msec, even after a number of runs.

I'm using 1.6.0_15, -server.

Try with a 1.6 JVM...